Old October 21st 05, 05:14 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Default FAQ

Unknown wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:05:35 -0700, Polymath wrote:

What is Ham Radio?

Ham Radio is a hobby for the type of people who would be in local
government but got thrown out for not being progressive enough. If
your favourite hobby is hosting a committee or writing a new
regulation then this is the hobby for you.

To be a "proper" radio amateur you agree with one or more of the
following :

I'm going to take your test...

1) I've voted Tory all my life

Nope. In fact, I haven't voted for a long time.

2) Im Over 50

Nope.

3) Im Buracratic

Absolutely not.

4) I smoke a pipe or cigar

Wrong again.

5) Im not a racist, I just don't like
-Foreign people

Not true. I know several, and I like them. I also enjoy DX.

-People who speak differently

Not a problem.

-People who are not the same colour as me

What "colour" would that be ?

6) HF is the one true mode, real radio doesn't use a microphone

I find HF more interesting than higher frequencies, because it allows me to
communicate with people across the globe. CW is my favorite mode, but that
doesn't mean I think there's anything less "real" about other modes.

7) In my day it was all CW *yawn*

Actually, it was. When I got my license, CW was all I was allowed to do.
And it was really interesting, too.

8) Repeaters are for morons

They ARE ? How come ?

9) Dam young people, fools the lot of them ra ra ra ! Join the RSGB

I don't have anything against young people. As a matter of fact, I live
with a couple of those and I frequently meet other kids.

... 10) Data isn't a 'real' mode

It's real. But to me it's not all that interesting.

11) Whats wrong with the licence as it is - I see nothing wrong.

Me neither. So what IS wrong with it ?

12) You should have a NOV for anything that hasn't already been
excluded
by the licence

What's a NOV and how can I get one ?

13) Nothing interesting happens above 30Mhz

Not true at all.

14) I know all about computers, thats why I hate them

I know a lot about computers, I work with them for a living. And that is
one of the main reason for my interest in ham radio.

15) I'm a **** hot designer - my radio was designed by a small yellow
man with more skill than me, but im not angry (see 5)

Completely wrong.

16) I make my own wire antennas that makes me an RF designer

I might make my own antennas, but that doesn't make me anything. It might
make my radio function better, tho.

17) People with less skill than me are worthless

Only when they behave as if they know everything.

If you identify with this then this is the hobby for you.

Obviously, it's not the hobby for me, then. So how come I'm staying at it ?

But hurry, be quick - when all the stupid old ****ers have died out
then nobody will be left ...........

Nobody are more helpful than those "stupid old ****ers" so that will be a
sad day.