Old October 22nd 05, 11:43 PM

Default What Amateur Radio Emergency Communications?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:17:13 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

"TOM" wrote in message
The future of the National Traffic System
http://www.eham.net/articles/12198

[snip]
For those of you who may not know, the National Traffic System (NTS)
consists of a carefully choreographed collection of section, region, and
area nets designed to relay messages throughout the US. In a sense it's
the
second "R" in ARRL. NTS has a long and honorable history and has some of
the
best operators in the world as its membership.

The recent hurricane season has raised serious doubts for me about the
role
that NTS plays in the current ham-radio environment. I did not hear a
single
health-and-welfare message during the disasters. In bygone times, NTS
would
have been buzzing with activity.
[snip]

Tom,

I hate to break your ham hating crusade but the NTS can't run any traffic,
if none is sent to it.

meaning you are greing with me and Tom

why is it ham hating if you say and ham hating if I do

you also make my point no vital traffic can be passed by ham radio if
it was not sent to ham radio

I had the exact same complaint. I did manage to
handle a few messages, but NOTHING like I was expecting.

which brings you to stating the same thing I was

I have since found that the American Red Cross, for WHATEVER REASON decided
that ham radio was not good enough to use. Other than for a VHF Telephone
network between shelters that is.

which is a dangerous state of affairs for one of the supports that we
use in our spectrum battles

but you were unwilling to even discuss such things

Not our bad Tom. We were there, ready, willing, and able.

maybe we were maybe we were not, but it seems whatever the truth were
not seen as ready willing and able, and the preception of the served
agencies is more important than the reality

Dan/W4NTI

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download