Old October 22nd 05, 10:47 PM

Default Improving airband radio reception

Hi Brad

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I am in AM mode Aircraft on the
ground are barely readable, the Tower is slightly better but still I
can only make out 25% of what is said. In general flying aircraft are
better, with 25% being very clear, but equally 25% being worse than
the tower.

I will try turning everything off up here tomorrow and see if it makes
a difference reducing the electrical noise.

The aerial is on the chimney, so about the best position I can get it
other than on a longer pole on the chimney.

Pre-amp wise I could get it just where the coax comes in through the
roof tiles, and then I could take it out when I want to Tx.

The 'short unshielded bits' - it is a Panel Mount BNC Socket, so the
shield is twisted together and soldered to a lug on the outside,
leaving about 1cm of center unshielded.

Other option I thought off was to take a dedicated airband aerial,
soemthing like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5773226141

and either place that high up in the loft space?

Thanks again
Kev