Old September 17th 03, 09:07 PM
Richard Harrison

Ron, W4TQT wrote:
"---Shortly and Williams, fourth edition."

Hang on to your Shortly and Williams. That was one if my textbooks long
ago and I found it usually reliable.

There are lightning elimination companies which erect spikes said to
drain the charge difference at your site. This, they say, drains your
site of charge which might initiate a strike.

Yet, I`ve seen towertop lightning damage where the tower was the most
salient item in the area. So, why didn`t it successfully discharge the
site and obviate the strokes?

Cecil`s 400-pound gorilla analogy may apply.

Protection relies upon residence within a conductive enclosure and
clamping the voltage level on every conductor which penetrates.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI