Old October 22nd 05, 06:53 PM
Mark Zenier

Default Figuring out radio locations by area

In article , SR wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000 miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

If you go to www.fcc.gov, you can find web pages that give you searches
into the FCC database that give you all the stations' data, including
latitude and longitude down to a tenth of a second (I think that's about
10 feet or so).

I used the one for FM radio a couple of weeks ago. I think it
was http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/default.htm and look for a link
that says "AM Query" or something like that. (I used the FM Query
where you give it your latitude and longitude in deg/min/sec and
it will tell you all the stations out to a given radius. Maximum
400 miles, or something like that).

You get back a cryptic table of stuff, but the azimuth in degrees
and the distance in miles is useful.

Mark Zenier