Old October 24th 05, 01:51 AM
DaveM

Default HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA?

TRABEM wrote in message ...
What caps should I use for a resonant loop antenna for VLF? I have
some antenna plans and need .2 uf total capacitance to resonate a loop
antenna at 60 Khz.

I know I should avoid electrolytic and tantalum due to their poor
temperature stability.

Disc ceramics are so poor thermally that they are out of the question,
especially since the caps are going to be outdoors.

Silver Mica's are horribly expensive these days, and aren't available
much past .01uf anyway.

I have a Mouser catalog and plan to order from them soon, but it's not
clear which type of cap I should order.

Any suggestions for 50,000 pF caps that don't cost a fortune?

Note that this is a receive only antenna so voltage rating and current
carrying capacity are not an issue.

Thanks.

Polystyrene caps are very temperature stable, typically changing only 0.5%
over their full temp range. And they're available in high capacitance
values. Check Mouser and Digikey for good prices.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in