Old October 25th 05, 10:00 PM

Default I was way way stoopid - need to unepoxy sumpin

Chuck,

I was replacing the steel ring on the top with the tabs. The tabs are
what gets soldered into the steel chassis.

I am a little bit nervous about buying nos caps. And prices for some
of those damn multi-section caps are up in the twenty-thirty dollar
price range. Besides I get a very good deal on the little snap-in
capacitors that I plunk inside.

regards,
Bob

Chuck Harris wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I did a very stoopid thing.

I hollowed out a capacitor and epoxy in a new snap in capacitor inside
the old can. I didn't use the proper voltage rating capacitor and now
I have to un-epoxy. Any ideas?

I already called myself stoopid so no need to duplicate efforts there.

Solvent?

Heat?

Dremel?

thanks
N9NEO

Acetone will soften some epoxies. So will heat...smoking hot heat.
It would probably be better to drill out the old capacitor, or just
call it a learning lesson, and get a NOS cap from Surplus Sales of
Nebraska, or Antique Electronic Supply (AES). Between the two of them,
you can get just about any old cap ever made.

Also, why epoxy? It isn't like the capacitor needs to be really strong.
Use hot glue next time. Always think reversible.

-Chuck