Old October 26th 05, 12:11 AM
Bill

Default Attention please Heathkit HW-16 owners

Thermionic wrote:

Hi, recently I picked up a Heathkit HW-16 and with a little repair and
tune-up, its back on the air. Great!, but the receiver seems to have a
problem that may be by design or may be something wrong. So far I can't find
the cause if it's not a design flaw. What is happening is the VFO seems to
get pulled slightly by strong signals in the band, somewhat annoying. It may
be that there just needs to be a buffer between the VFO and the mixer (both
part of a 6EA8). I wonder if anyone else has seen this happen with their
HW-16? Thanks...............T

I suspect it might have something to do with power supply regulation, or
rather, lack thereof. The HW-16 has a tendency to chirp when using
crystals for the same reason. Using an HG-10B VFO seems to cure the
chirp issue since the VFO has an onboard regulator which in turn clamps
the B+ in the rig.
Our friend Biz Wichy has been known to add a regulator to the basic
HW-16 and that seems like a good idea.

-Bill