Old December 26th 05, 02:08 AM
DougSlug

Default AR8200 MK3 opinion

All radio scanners are receivers, but not all receivers are considered
scanners. The AR8200 essentially both, depending on how you define the two
terms.

A scanner is, generally speaking, a VHF/UHF receiver that is optimized for
quickly scanning preset memories, usually using narrow FM mode or AM mode
for air band. The AR8200 is really more of a communications receiver, which
is a more flexible unit capable of receiving a wider range of frequencies
and modes (such as CW and SSB) with finer control over the tuning step size
and other parameters. The AR8200 is also capable of scanning preset
memories, of course. Traditionally, comms receivers are more expensive, but
now with the digital scanners available, that's not always true.

- Doug

"clu" wrote in message
oups.com...
What's the difference between a scanner and receiver? One of the key
features for the AR8200 MK3 says, "Extensive search & scan facilities."

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am just so new to this I don't know the
difference.

--
clu