Old October 26th 05, 12:31 AM
dxAce

Default what size antenna?

David wrote:

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:04:11 GMT, "-=jd=-"
wrote:

On Mon 24 Oct 2005 08:54:42p, "clu" wrote in message
roups.com:

This is probably a dumb question, but if I run a wire around the
perimeter of my house along the eaves so that it is as high as I can
put it, is that dangerous with regard to lightning?

--
clu

Repeat after me:
We always disconnect external antennas from radios when we are not listening
to them, and especially when thunder storms are in the forecast.

Static can build-up in the wire from different sources. It's also a good
argument for having a transformer (at least 1:1) in your feed line that
provides a direct path to ground, in addition to your lightning arrester.

It can also be influenced by your tolerance for risk. If you don't like
rolling dice, then lightning protection, a transformer with a direct path to
ground and diligently disconnecting the feed line are all advisable.

-=jd=-

Where does one find such a transformer? Why does it need to be at
least 1:1? What does that mean?

Where have you been?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup.html

Others available elsewhere, do a Google on 1:1 balun.

dxAce
Michigan
USA