Old October 26th 05, 11:52 PM
Thermionic

Default Attention please Heathkit HW-16 owners

Yeah, I will be printing it also to carry into the shack. Thanks for the
troubleshooting process!! I have already tried changing the 6EA8 with 2
others, that was the first thing I tried. Checked voltages with a mil
surplus VTVM to look for shifts in voltage, and don't see anything there,
but did not check the bfo circuit. The idea crossed my mind though.Checked
all resistors in the circuit and they seem ok, but did not actually lift an
end, I know I should do that. I do have a few cap checkers, and was about to
check C56 the other day, but I have a bad cold right now, and my energy just
gave out. I wanted to check the VFO freq and the bfo freq with my counter
too. I don't have a lot of time for radio these days, working like a dog. I
will post any results when I can. Thanks!! Oh, and about the chirp using
xtals, I had already found someone's fix for that, but have'nt tried it yet.
I find that some of my xtals don't oscillate well in this rig for some
reason. I have about 2 1/2 dozen good 40M/15M cw xtals, but some don't
startup well. All of my 80M xtals are ok though. Adjusting the oscillator
coil did not really help. Anyway, here is the chirp mod that I found.:

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:04:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Gordon (email address deleted for his sake)
Subject: HW-16: Eliminating Chirp w/xtal control...

1) Change OSCILLATOR grid leak from 47 kOhm to 100kOhm

2) Connect a 100 pfd silvered mica or other high quality RF capacitor from
oscillator screen grid to ground.

3) If you really want to go hog-wild, feed the screen grid through a good
1 to 2.5 mH RF choke, by-passed at the "cold" end with a .001 - .005 mfd
cap, from a 150 volt regulated supply.

Results:

No chirp, even on 15 meters.