Old October 28th 05, 03:02 AM
TRABEM

Default HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:55:32 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

May I ask, what is with the almost fanitical adherence to Q?

Sure, it's a fair question.

I have a simple receiver with a low impedance input that is few with a
toroid transformer and a tuned circuit to match the impedances and to
keep out of band signals out.

I want to convert the receiver from HF to VLF (60 KHz) and to use a
series tuned loop of high Q as an antenna. In order to simplify the
receiver input, I have mentioned as an option to eliminate the 50 ohm
matching transformer and the tuned circuit in the front end of the
receiver....and to feed it directly with my low impedance loop. In
this way, the loops high Q would serve as the only means of preventing
out of band signals from getting into the receiver.

In order to make sure that actually happens, I suggested making the
loop Q as high as possible.

Hence my 'almost fanatical adherence to Q'

Not sure if it will work, but wanted to run it past the group.

Regards,