Old October 28th 05, 05:42 AM
TRABEM

Default HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA?

I've been trying to follow this thread because I like to play with tuned
loop antennas for broadcast band reception.

I'm not sure you missed that much, I'm possibly on the right track
though.

I missed the part about how much this 20 meters of #2 copper cable with
its support weighs. Your project sounds Serious. That antenna must weigh
close to 500 pounds

No, not all. It's a little heavy, but we have big tall hard wood
forest here and my main concern is not weight, it's the ice that
happens in Winter. So, lighter wire would never survive.

The loop antennas I've been building are large diameter coils of smaller
wire. I recognize that the type antenna I build arent acceptable for your
consideration. But, I do have some experience with using a low freq loop
in the city. If you are located near man made noise, it is very likely
that resonating the loop doesnt result in highest Signal/Noise ratio.

I understand this. But, I live quite a distance from any city and the
distances to my neighbors is measured in hundreds of feet. It's quite
rural. If I suspect there is a source of noise in the house, I have
access to the high voltage (pole mounted disconnect) and can shut the
power off to my house from a switch 900 feet from the house. If the
noise persists, it isn't a local noise source::

Perhaps you already have experience with Low Freq loops and can tell me
about your experiences. I am interested in learning.

I'm still learning too......and look forward to getting the big loop
up. It's starting to look like i need to go back to the books though.
Right now, Richard is trying to get me back on track as I've
apparently led myself astray. I'm definitely still learning::