Old October 28th 05, 01:32 PM
John S.

Default Using the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio with the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna

RHF wrote:
John S.

So it looks like we are in disagreement again.

Here is my 'opinion' based on my personal experience using the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios by itself;
with a 23 Foot Roll-Up / Reel-Up "Portable" Shortwave Antenna;
and the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna

1. The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna is "Tunable"
(Pre-Selector) and can easily be place in a location (window)
for the 'best reception' = Strongest Signals and Lowest Noise.

2. The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna works well
for a Traveler who only has a Hotel/Motel Window as their
"Gateway" to the World of Shortwave Radio.

3. The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna can also work
well for some Shortwave Listener's who live in Apartments and
Condos and are very limited in using any type of OutSide
{Random Wire} Shortwave Antennas.

4. Most of the time those little 23 Foot Roll-Up / Reel-Up
"Portable" Shortwave Antennas that come with many 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radios do not perform as well as the Sony
AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna. This is whether you
Plug the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna into the
Radio's External Antenna 1/8" Jack or simply Clip-It-On to
the Radio's Whip Antenna.

5. For Shortwave Listening (SWL) the combination of the
Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna and the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR Radio usually works better then using the
Radio by itself.

TBL - Yes the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna does amplify
the Noise along with the Signal. But when you can not Hear them :
Then something is better then nothing. Not a perfect solution but
simply better than most other available or permitted options.

You could very well be correct. This may in-fact be THE one portable
amplified antenna that is able to deliver signals that could not be
gotten with either the whip antenna or a simple wire antenna strung
around a window. My experience with many other wunder-antennas has been
that they are little more than a gadgety external volume control. After
turning one or more knobs all signals get equally louder, but nothing
magically pops out of the mud.

I've taken a variety of (mostly Sony) shortwave portables on trips over
the years and have found that a simple wire strung around the hotel
room window will gather a lot of signals in a less then perfect
listening environment.

I may be wrong....and if I find one cheap enough I just might try it.
But not at the going prices.