Old October 29th 05, 06:10 AM
TRABEM

Default HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA?

Hi Jim,

I ran some estimates earlier of a much smaller multiturn look with
smaller wire. The Q held up much better than I expected and I'm also
considering smaller diameter multiturn loops.

Appreciate the quotes.

Regards,

To emphasize one idea that Richard Clark has presented:

Here is a direct quote from page 6-1 (section 6.2) of the chapter on loop
antennas in the (first edition) Antenna Engineering Handbook edited by Jasik
(1961):

"The radiation pattern of a small loop is identical with that of a small
dipole oriented normal to the plane of the loop with the E and H fields
interchanged."

The use of "magnetic" or other buzz words notwithstanding, a small loop is
the dual of a small dipole. Practical considerations might cause one to
select a small loop over a small dipole.

73 Mac N8TT