Old October 29th 05, 08:55 AM
Reg Edwards

Default HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA?

TRABEM wrote

I ran some estimates earlier of a much smaller multiturn look with
smaller wire. The Q held up much better than I expected and I'm also
considering smaller diameter multiturn loops.

With multi-turn loops don't be tempted to neglect wire diameter.

And it's well worth while spacing the wires by 1 or 2 wire diameters.
Spaced wires reduce RF proximity-effect loss and increase Q.

Neatness of construction is of little consequence. Wires need be
supported only at the corners of the loop. Keep wires taut enough to
prevent them flopping about in the wind.

Electrically isolate the main loop. Don't connect it to anything. It
will then maintain its good directional properties including its sharp
null.

Don't even think about screening or shielding the loop. It will serve
no useful electrical purpose. It will cause proximity effect to
reappear.

Connect the smaller coupling loop to the unbalanced receiver via a
thin twisted pair of whatever length you like without fear of it
picking up any signal of consequence.

Remember sensitivity depends ONLY on the enclosed loop area and NOT on
the number of turns. So don't be tempted to reduce loop size just
because it is multi-turned. Big signals never did anybody any harm.
Whereas . . . . . !

I assume your QTH is not adjacent to WWV's antenna. ;o)
----
Reg, G4FGQ.