Old October 29th 05, 06:43 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Default BFO, CW, sideband question

Jaggy Taggy wrote:
I started this thread because there is a bit of confusion in my head
regarding where the signal is, where the carrier is and what is indicated on
my radio dial.

Join the crowdgrin...

It is also confusing me that I can't receive SSB on the lower bands using
USB (and a slight retune), I need to use LSB.
I don't know why since I learned that the two sidebands contain the same
info.

Ah. What you learned about was DSB, not SSB.

In a regular AM (Dual Sideband) transmission the two sidebands indeed
contain the same info and you can tune either one. (or in most cases, both)

But what hams use is SSB, Single Sideband. One of the two sidebands is
filtered out, only one is transmitted.

It is traditional for amateurs to transmit the lower sideband below
10MHz and the upper sideband above 10MHz. Hence, you need to use LSB to
receive SSB signals on the low bands -- the upper sideband simply
doesn't exist on these signals. And vice-versa on the higher bands.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66