Old October 29th 05, 12:43 PM
Scott

Default Outdoor Scanner Antenna

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:26:20 -0700, George
wrote:

Sounds like what I need then. Will the work with a handheld scanner? I
have the Pro 95. I see that I need the discone Antenna, the vent pipe
mount that i also saw at RS...What about wiring? I need cable and
adapter plugs to get everything hooked up from the Antenna to my
scanner. What type of Cable if I go with the outside setup?

I'm also wondering what type of connectors I need to hook the antenna
up to the pro 95 handheld. I basically just need to know exactly what
type of cable and connectors I need to finish this job. I see so many
connectors but dont know which ones I need Help!!! What else do i
need? Remember I'm a newbie

On 2005-10-28 11:30:45 -0700, Scott said:

What could I expect from an outdoor Antenna? I have nothing to attach
an antenna to on my roof. I'm newbie at this, and was curious as to
how hard it would be to install this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rs&tab=support

Years

ago my neighbor was a cb freak, and he had a freaking tall
antenna on his roof. How would I get this up high enough? Could
someone really help a newbie out on what i would need to buy to get
this antenna just right for scanning. I'm not afraid to do anything,
but seriously just don't know what all I need, and what i should
expect from this type of setup.

Hi Scott

The discone type antenna is probably the best antenna available for a
scanner. Of course there are some other considerations to be aware of,
specifically, what are your "bands of interest"? Would you also like
to be able to receive transmissions from satellites, and/or other
overhead aircraft? Are you interested in receiving signals from a great
distance, or just local traffic? You're in luck, the Discone does all
that!

If you have a "vent pipe" on your roof, it would then only require a
short section of mast to mount the Discone to, and then mount the mast
to the vent pipe. This is exactly how I have mounted my discone, and
it works very well.

I have even used a Discone antenna inside with quite acceptable
results. The advantage here is that only a very short cable is
required.

There are many types of Discone antennas available, and for different
parts of the RF spectrum. AOR has one which is good form 75Mhz - 3Ghz,
and it is less than three feet tall. Do a search for "DS3000".

Hope this helps.

Best regards

george