Old October 29th 05, 06:18 PM
TRABEM

Default HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA?

Hi REg,

Looks like I have a plan for a new loop.

New loop design:

I have a plan for a more appropriately dimensioned loop.

At 60 KHz,

4 turns of 2 mm diameter wire, spaced 4 wire diameters apart.
2 meters per side
123 uH, 60,000 pF to resonate
4.7K across the loop.
300 ohm feed impedance at single turn loop feed
Q (unloaded) = 101

This allows me to feed the loop with 300 ohm balanced line, which I
can easily transform to 50 ohms at the receiver.

I'm not sure what the impedance of twisted wire is though, which would
be even cheaper than 300 ohm twin lead.

Also, my Q will be slightly higher as I can stagger the turns some, so
that the wires won't run parallel to each other for the entire length.

I was never quite thrilled with a big loop threaded through the trees
and supported in that manner, it makes it hard to rotate:: Being able
to rotate the loop is a good thing::

Is the 1 turn pick up loop critical???

And, I have another question.......

I used rj2loop3 and ran the same numbers as above, except that I
separated the wires by 10 wire diameters instead of 4.

Instead of seeing the Q improve, it was reduced (from 101) to 93. I
expected the Q to improve, not get worse. It seems odd to me. Is there
a good reason for this?? Ran it with a very low number and the Q also
get worse. So there appears to be an 'optimal' wire winding pitch for
optimizing Q?

Byr the way, nice software package, thank you for it's use!

I assume your QTH is not adjacent to WWV's antenna. ;o)

Temporarily, it is on the East Coast of the US. But, at home it is
high in the mountains in Northern EU (with no commercial power for
miles around).

Thanks,