Old October 29th 05, 10:44 PM
Al Klein

Default Outdoor Scanner Antenna

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:43:52 -0400, Scott said in
rec.radio.scanner:

Sounds like what I need then. Will the work with a handheld scanner?

The antenna will work with anything. A GRE (Radio Shack) scanner will
overload easily so, if there are any transmitters within a few miles
of you, you probably don't want too much antenna.

What about wiring? I need cable and
adapter plugs to get everything hooked up from the Antenna to my
scanner. What type of Cable if I go with the outside setup?

Again - how long and what frequency?

I'm also wondering what type of connectors I need to hook the antenna
up to the pro 95 handheld.

BNC for the scanner end. I'm not sure about that particular antenna,
but I think it takes a PL-259 (278-205). Soldered. Even at 150 MHz,
you don't want a non-solder connector. At 850 MHz, it's as good as 5
feet of cable missing between the antenna and scanner. Radio Shack
doesn't list a solder-type BNC connector, so you might want to use
another PL-259 (they come 2 to a pack at RS) and use an adapter
(278-120) to go to the scanner.