Old November 24th 04, 09:09 PM
K-tron

On Sun, 30 May 2004 12:03:31 -0400, " Uncle Peter"
wrote:

If black and sticky, probably tar (or similar) oozing from
the sealed chokes. PCB, IIRC, is a clear liquid, and I doubt it was
in common useage back in WWII era boatanchors.

Pete

"joe landy" wrote in message

Yep, the black goo is tar and unless the choke is running WAY hot I'd
not bother awlfully much about replacing it. As far as PCBs in your
dinsaur not moch to worry about UNLESS caps were replaced any time
from the mid-50s to say the early 90s. My thoughts on units
containing PCBs , asbestos etc; are as follows: Unless there is an
obvious problem (PCBs leaking from caps or loose asbestos powder etc;
) leave the stuff alone. There are many MUCH more hazzardous
substances that we all are exposed to on a daily basis.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin (88LF owner for 27 years)