Old October 30th 05, 11:21 AM
Sanjaya

Default Grundig FR200

"Jacob Shank" wrote in message
Hi, I would like to get into the shortwave hobby and i went to radio
shack and saw this SW radio. Does anyone know if it's a good SW radio?
Or should i get a different one? It seems to be at a good price. Is the
more expensive SW radios able to pick up more SW stations? or it doesn't
matter? I figured to come here for a second opinion. Thanks. Jacob.

If I could recommend anything to a newcomer to SW it would be to get
a good portable that has digital tuning and SSB capability.

The Sony 7600GR is an excellent portable, but fairly expensive.

A better alternative (my opinion) is the Degen DE1103 which can be found on
eBay. Much less expensive and fantastic reception. Best performance for price
paid. Great reception of shortwave with only the built in whip antenna.

If you enjoy Medium Wave (known as AM radio in the U.S.) you might look
at the Tecsun BCL3000. Fair on shortwave, but fantastic on MW.

If SW is the main concern here I'd recommend the DE1103, and if you want to
spend twice as much get a Sony 7600GR.

Lots of people will respond to your post I think and give you good advice. Don't
make a hasty decision. Listening to shortwave takes a bit of effort, you have to know
what's on and how to find it. You want a radio that will make that easier for you.