Old October 31st 05, 02:38 AM
Lazy Senior

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

Uncle Peter wrote:

This is not as easy as it seems. AM peak power is
4 times the carrier. A 100% modulated 40 watt AM
signal is actually producing 160 watts PEP.

Yes, I know it is not as easy as it seems, that is what I posted the
message looking for suggestions.

I presently use a Viking Valiant putting out 140 Am carrier watts. It
has worked very nicely.

Now also,I have a Viking Ranger, puts out 40 Am carrier watts. I want
more power, especially on 160 mtrs.

Ok it is 1956 when these xmtrs were made. If I had a Ranger then, what
would I buy for an amp?

I realize one problem I may have is 160 mtrs (a band I love) was
restricted in 1956 and many radios, xmtrs, amps didnt have 160 mtrs.

So, I want to run 375 watts Am Legal limit with a Viking Ranger on
160,80,40 mtrs preferably with a Vintage Amp, but will consider modern amps.

What are my options - no homebrew..

thanx

Lazy Senior