Old October 31st 05, 01:04 PM
homepc

Default Grundig FR200

I returned two of these radios.

I bought them to use at my office off battery power and just for AM
reception only. The FR200 runs forever off three AA batteries and the AM
reception is good. It's a cute little radio and the carry handle is really
handy. If you intend to hide this radio away for use in an emergency kit it
would probably be a very good choice. However after extended use, both
radios I had developed a noisy volume control that needed replacement
according to a Grundig service tech I spoke to. I didn't have an authorized
Grundig service depot close by, and I felt the postage expense to Toronto
for the warranty repair just wasn't worth it.

I ended up buying a Degen DE1107 to use at work just recently. It's an
analogue version of the DE1103, so it isn't as power hungry as it's brother,
and the sound is fantastic. The Degen DE1103 from China is identical to the
Kaito DE1103 available in North America, but you have better warranty
protection with the Kaito brand should the radio goes south. Many people
report the DE1103 to be an amazing little radio for the price, but there
seems to be a few repair issues with the digital tuning and distorted AM
reception. See posts at

I also own a Degen DE1103 purchased through EBay that required a warranty
exchange upon after it's arrival. The replacement radio works fine, but the
case came with some minor cosmetic flaws from the factory.

"Jacob Shank" wrote in message
Hi, I would like to get into the shortwave hobby and i went to radio
shack and saw this SW radio. Does anyone know if it's a good SW radio?
Or should i get a different one? It seems to be at a good price. Is the
more expensive SW radios able to pick up more SW stations? or it doesn't
matter? I figured to come here for a second opinion. Thanks. Jacob.