Old October 31st 05, 08:04 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

I won't tell you that they are almost indistinguishable. But I will say
that S-units should be a valid comparison standard, at least with military
gear that _is_ calibrated in 6 dB increments.
--scott

On virtually all of the mil receiver's I'm familiar with (or remember
much about) the signal strength (carrier) meter is marked in dBs (not S
units). I know that some of the "conversion sets" (like the RAOs) had S
meters (though the meter was dropped after S/N200 of the RAO-6; and none
of the RAO-7 had a meter). R-390s, 390As and 391s are all dBs; as were
the 1051s.

Perhaps the newer ones (post 1980) have S-meters?

That's an interesting point - what military receivers --besides
conversion sets -- have "S meters" (i.e. actually marked in S units)?

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com