Old November 1st 05, 05:02 AM

Default My Thoughts on a Slinky Stretched-Out on an Eight Foot Long PVC...

That Yagi Antenna,that's a nice looking Antenna rig.How do you have it
grounded for lightning protection? I need an Antenna like that.

It's not grounded in that case, being it's portable, and no wx
was in the area. But you would just ground the tower base
if you needed to ground it. Normally in a home install it would
sit on a slab, and would be grounded to the slab, which in turn
is well grounded, usually with rebar, etc.. You would use the same
suppressors, etc, as any other type antenna.
A beam can be handy if you are hard core dxing... Not only do
you have forward gain, but you have a f/b ratio which will
reduce "problem" signals, or noise in the other direction
which further improves the s/n ratio.
It's easy to build a single band yagi. A multi-band will take more
work. Probably the best overall "beam" for a wide tuning SWLer
would be a monster log periodic.
When using that yagi vs a dipole at the same height, it's like turning
on an amp. But the best part is you get the same increase in receive.
So it will always be better than just adding more power alone to the
dipole.
I've got that HF beam, and I've also got a 3 el yagi for 6m, a 3 el
yagi
for 2m FM, and a 7 el yagi for 440 mhz. I need to build a large yagi
for
2m SSB.. But I've been too busy to mess with it...
MK