Old November 1st 05, 03:04 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

Chuck Harris wrote:

If you are going to couch the question that way, the answer is
none.

This was in response to the previous discussion of the fact there is no
standards for S unit meters (i.e. there are reports of S Units being
anywhere from 1-6db/S unit - with 6db having been a proposed (but
failed) standard - and 5db/S unit seeming to be common in modern (SSB)
rigs.

Someone mentioned that military gear using "S meters" were calibrated to
6dB/S unit. I'm not familiar (in spite of being married to a boatanchor
collector with a fair number of pieces of gear) with any "native" mil
gear with S meters - which you pretty much confirm above.

Since that individual noted mil gear with calibrated S meters - I was
exploring that question. As I noted - it wouldn't surprise me to learn
that some modern (post 1980) mil gear has S meters...

Hence the "couched" question.

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com