Old November 3rd 05, 06:41 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Backpack Antenna, help please

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
m...
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk wrote:
Thanks for that, so a 1/4 wave does not need a counterpoise then?

Strip 1/4WL of insulation from the coax. Fold the outside
braid back along the coax. That will leave you 1/4WL of
center conductor exposed (you can leave the center
insulation in place) and the braid will provide the
other half of the antenna which should be insulated
to avoid backpacking RF burns. Kraus calls such a
"vertical 1/2WL sleeve antenna. On edge it looks like:

-------------------+
-------------------------------+ 1/4WL
1/4WL
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

In that case I do that, and feed it all up the inside of the top element of
a fishing pole I also use for SOTA work with a small beam. I can then seal
it in with aradite.
Thanks again
Steve