Old November 5th 05, 01:03 AM
Highland Ham

Default Problem with soldering gun

Suggest you buy a butane (cigarette lighter gas) soldering iron with
adjustable gas flow to change temperature.
These irons come with different kathalytic burner bits and have a capacity
of well over 100 Watts equivalent.
Electric soldering guns are prone to failure and don't sink much heat into
the object to be soldered.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
I bought a Weller gun recently to unsolder some can capacitors from a
steel chassis. I was totally dissapointed when I got home and unpacked
the gun. This gun is not the same as my daddy had about 40 years ago.
It was a cheap piece of ****. I tried with all my might to get that
thing to work. The tip was flimsy, the set screws to connect the tip
were flimsy and the two tubes that come out were so flimsy that they
would short themselves out whenever a little bit of pressure was put on
the tip. I tried boosting the voltage into the gun until the core was
humming real good. With about 140v into the thing the plastic handle
was too hot to touch and I could see smoke coming out of the handle. I
took it back and told the guy at the True-value store it didn't work
and smelt funny when I used it. I told him I thought the secondary was
shorted. Heheh.