Old November 5th 05, 05:11 AM
Asimov

Default Problem with soldering gun

"Roy Lewallen" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Nov 05 17:30:23)
--- on the heady topic of " Problem with soldering gun"

RL From: Roy Lewallen
RL Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.homebrew:88731

RL Hm, everybody has his own solution. I happily use an old Weller gun or
RL small butane torch for putting a PL-259 onto an RG-8 size cable, as I
RL have for decades. I keep the cable straight so the center conductor
RL ends up where it belongs when the insulation cools. I never use
RL PL-259s for RG-58 or RG-59 size cable anymore -- I always use BNC
RL instead. I've got a box full of adapters to use whenever I need to
RL connect to anything else. Both BNC connectors and BNC-to-anything
RL adapters are readily available on eBay. Actually, I don't use RG-8
RL size cable very often, and recently I've been putting N connectors on
RL it when I do.
RL Roy Lewallen, W7EL

If you want some *real* heat, rip the carbon rods out of a couple of C
or D batteries. Cut just one wire of a bedside table lamp in the middle.
Strip the ends and wrap one wire around one carbon rod and the same
with the other on the remaining rod. Hold the rod ends clamped by
wooden clothes pins so that the wires are pressed into the rod. Keep
the rods apart and plug in the lamp. Turn on the lamp, then bring the
rods close together. You should develop a nice arc that will blind you
momentarily and leave you seeing blue spots for a few hours. However,
the arc will have been hotter than the surface of the Sun. But you can
melt paper clips and glass marbles with it. A welders mask may help
with the spotty vision.

Disclaimer: Do not try this in the shower. Objects may appear blurrier
than they really are temporarily but perhaps permanently. Results may
vary with the wattage of the bedside table lamp.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... This product has been cruelly tested on cute little furry animals.