Old November 5th 05, 02:44 PM
Highland Ham

Default Problem with soldering gun

No Way would I ever use a 25 watt soldering iron to do pl 259s like
that F8 guy does..... wonder how many poor pl 259 connections he has
and does not even know it?

Perhaps is it useful to mention that PL259 type of connectors for 3/8inch
(10mm) OD coax are available with a cable entry as per a standard
N-connector eg a metal braid sleeve with rubber cable compression ring.
The only soldering required is for the centre pin.
The ones I use are of a high quality ,having a gold-plated centre pin . They
are made in Taiwan ; the UK price some time ago was GBP 3.00 (US$ 5.50) .
Perhaps a bit expensive but well worth buying.

Frank GMØCSZ / KN6WH