Old November 5th 05, 07:36 PM
Bill

Default Problem with soldering gun

Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:

My worry with many of the "big iron" methods is that it's very hard to
be sure you have a good solder joint, all the way down the sides of the
hole. More often, I suspect it makes a good joint to the braid but a
cold joint to the sides of the hole. This may look OK, but the plug of
solder may eventually work loose in the hole.

A handy trick is to enlarge the holes with a drill or reamer or to make
them slightly oblong with a small triangular file. I've seen some
connectors with an oblong opening as standard. It does make for easier
soldering.

-Bill