Old December 14th 04, 02:40 AM
COLIN LAMB

The ARC-5 transmitter is one of the great piece of electronics out of WWII.
As a kid, my first transmitter was an ARC-5 bought from JJ Glass of Los
Angeles for about $5.95. It was brand new and a beauty to behold. Getting
it working right will teach you everything that you need to know about
electronics (well as of 1957 anyway).

I was able to get mine to key nicely with no chirp at all. I still have a
wall full of them, they are nice to look at. You should be able to find a
schematic on the internet. I found that adjusting the oscillator plate
voltage to the individual transmitter could help solve a lot of problems and
regulated dc on the filaments does wonders, too. They will run 100 watts
without too much strain, although the power supplyis often twice the size of
the transmitter. But, they also run qrp on a much smaller supply and lower
voltage.

Have fun, Colin K7FM

---