Old November 6th 05, 02:12 AM
Crazy George

Default AM Commercial radio reception

snip
In the meantime, the basic groundwave radiation patterns of mediumwave
broadcast antennas are either simple circles with the antenna at their
centres, or heart-shaped with the antenna at the null.

The first occurs when the antenna is a single vertical mast located
near the centre of a large populated area.

The second occurs when the antenna consists of a pair of masts, which
radiate a very broad heart-shaped beam, located on one side of the
populated area to be covered.

snip
----
Reg.

Reg:

I'm afraid you're way behind the practice on this one. In the US, there are
many 4, 5 and 6 tower arrays providing as many nulls to protect co-channel
stations. The UK got off easy with nationalized broadcasting, where the
frequency and location was dictated by the government, and none of that
nasty capitalism interfered. Here, the commercial interests are still
fighting it out. Check and see if the KLIF website shows their pattern from
a linear array of 5 towers just outside Dallas.

--
Crazy George
W5VPQ