Old December 14th 04, 10:24 PM
zeno

N2EY wrote:

In article , zeno writes:

Someone gave me an old ARC 5 (7-9.1) transmitter found at the county
dump. I would like to see if I can get it going on 40 meter CW.

First question is: What condition is it in?

The one has already been modified, the other is relatively unmodified, but missing
the bottom and the top case.

What does that conversion article show?

There was an article in the ARRL Handbooks for years that involved building an
external crystal oscillator in a minibox, using a 6AG7. Most of that article
was pretty good because it didn't hack up the ARC-5 too much (but it did
recommend destroying the power socket, unfortunately).

Yes, that is the article. I also have a power supply that works and has an octal
male plug as described in that article. I would have to add an octal female socket
on the back of the unmodified unit to receive this power supply plug. If I were to
attempt to put the modified unit back together I would need way more information
than I have at this point. For example the unmodified unit has an RF choke next to
the large vertical coil in from of the 1625s, on the modified unit, it looks like
it never had this rf choke installed. There are little wiring differences like
this in these two units which I do not understand. The vertical coil in the
unmodified unit has the red number 9295 printing on its edge, the modified unit
has the number 7250 on it. I do not know what this number means (?).

What (where would I get) information would I need to rebuild a totally modified
unit, to make it into some kind of an operating transmitter?

The Xtal in this unit is 8870 KC. Is this OK?

Not for ham operation!

The way I understand it, this is just for calibration of the VFO, so it is OK.

My original intention was to recreate a 50's style conversion of one of these
transmitters, however, I am not wondering if there is not a better way to go.

Bill k6TAJ