Old November 6th 05, 12:18 PM
ml

Default birthday/radition: tnx: just one vert or horz?

happy birthday if you were around nyc i'd buy you a cake

so if i understood your below, your saying you had a dipole in some
direction lets say n s and your average signals came in same as your
E W dipole?

or say if i had a nice multielement optibeam on 20m and i heard a week
signal started to turn the beam all around findng max signal East

if i switched to my verticle you'd hypothise it'd come in about the same

further if your below was true then wouldn't turning the beam mean my
signal would always be about the same?

or was it just a dipole vs verticle comparison that i spazed out on ?

In article ,
"Reg Edwards" wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote
You will be disappointed in two directions and amazed in the
other two directions. :-)

==================================

Cec, with the verticals and inverted-L's and dipoles I have ever
erected, I have never noticed much difference between one direction
and another except when my house or the neighbour's house got in the
way. And most of the difference was just my imagination.

Simple antennas, in the average amateur's environment, are effectively
omni-directional in all planes without any nulls. I have never had any
silly objections to radiation from the feedline, although I have never
been certain that I ever had any.

If I ever made made any propagation calculations I always treated my
antennas as being isotropes. When the calculating uncertainty is plus
or minus 10 dB who cares anyway? I am the last person to suffer from
delusions of accuracy. Yet I am a firm believer in Kelvin.

I once made a balun. It was in the feedline for 24 hours. It didn't
make a scrap of difference to anything except weight. I still have
it. The workmanship and neatness of the windings around the ferrite
ring was too good to throw away.

I've just noticed this message is in terms of a history. I am 80 this
month.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.