Old December 15th 04, 05:20 PM
No Spam

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:51:26 UTC, (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

No Spam No
wrote:
I've searched the web but haven't found the answer to my
QRP CW question.

I'm looking for a QRP CW transmitter kit that includes QSK and
will mute a boatanchor receiver like an SB-303, SX-101, or 75S-1.

I realize that some receivers might not recover fast enough for
QSK.

I've looked at website ads for Ramsey, Vectronixs, and still
don't have an answer. They might do it out of the box; they
might do it with a mod but I haven't found the answer.

A couple watts of CW and capable of working with the WA6OTP PTO
kit.

Anyone got something like that working?

I have had great luck with a Heathkit signal generator into a key.

BUT, if you want to get really fancy, check out the ARRL mobile manual,
which has a really neat project transceiver. The transmitter section is
based on a 1J6G and has an optional VFO.

The TAB Book on ham radio projects also had a really neat one-tube transmitter
that was hot chassis and built around the sweep tube. No VFO, though.

Actually, plenty of VFOs out there put out enough power to be used as
QRP rigs standalone.
--scott

thanks but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I want something like a tuna-tin or peanut whistle QRP
transmitter but with QSK TR and receiver muting. I'm not saying
that the tuna-tin won't work. I don't know if it will or not. The
web articles are not explicit on that point.

I'd like 1 to 5 watts of clean CW produced by a solid state
transmitter. Something that runs on a wall wart would be best.

Crystal controlled would be OK but I've been looking at WA6OTP's
website. He sells a PTO kit. Some folk have adapted it to various
transmitters.

I'm not intested in a transceiver. I want it to work with a
boatanchor receiver like the .35 uv, 400 Hz, 1 kHz analog readout
Heathkit SB-303 or the Collins 75S-1 with a CW mechanical
filter and 1 kHz PTO.

The trick is QSK, built in TR switch, and receiver muting.

I'm not interested in a transceiver. I have several boatanchor
receivers that work fine.

KH6IJ (katashi) told me about 1960 that a 75S-1 with a CW
mechanical filter was the "perfect" CW op's rig. At that time, he
was a lowly paid University employee who ran a 75S-1 and an HT-32.

I wondered why he didn't use a 32S-1 or KWM-2. I know the reason
now. The 32S-1 and KWM-2 produce CW by injecting a sinewave audio
tone into the SSB circuitry. Not the best method.

CW from the HT-32 was better. The HT-32 also had the good
Hallicrafter's VFO with great bandspread and smooth tuning.

I know that I can buy a Century 21, HW-16, or Argonaut and have just
as good a CW QSK experience but I want to use a separate receiver.

Seems that at least one of the QRP CW transmitter kits would include
QSK circuitry to TR and mute a receiver.

de ah6gi/4 I have the receivers, I just need the transmitters.