Old November 7th 05, 08:35 PM
Caveat Lector

Default Battery quality/life/efficiency/MostBangForTheBuck/whatever

Of possible interest
The Great Battery Shootout! by Dave Etchells

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"K7ITM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Even with moderately high self-discharge rates, I'm finding NiMH AAs to
be a good solution for most applications where I use AAs. I just cycle
them through the recharger occasionally. I have enough extras, and
recharging is so fast, that it's not a problem to me if I forget and
let a set discharge to where I have to put in a new set. Noteable
exceptions: very low drain devices like smoke detectors and remote
control transmitters that will run for a year or more on alkalines.
Digital cameras, particularly, show off the advantages of the NiMHs:
alkalines just don't cut it in mine (unuseable after five or ten
pictures, compared with dozens for one charge on NiMHs), though I've
heard that the alkalines specially designed for digital cameras are at
least useable.

There's a lot of misinformation about batteries of various kinds out
there. I've found http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ to be an easy to
understand source of generally very good information about a lot of
different types of batteries. It mostly covers rechargables, but
there's some info about alkalines in there.

A friend who uses alkalines in his insulin pump told me he was
surprised to find that, in that particular application, he's seeing a
significant difference between standard Duracell and Energizer alkaline
AAs. "Your mileage may vary."

Cheers,
Tom