Old November 7th 05, 08:33 PM
clifto

Default Battery quality/life/efficiency/MostBangForTheBuck/whatever

K7ITM wrote:
A friend who uses alkalines in his insulin pump told me he was
surprised to find that, in that particular application, he's seeing a
significant difference between standard Duracell and Energizer alkaline
AAs. "Your mileage may vary."

I've always had horrible luck with Duracells. Every five years or so I
go out and buy another set to remind myself of this, but the results are
never different.

Harry G. mentions getting good prices on Energizers at Home Depot. Seems
like the HD stores around here never ever have the good deals I read about
from other people on the 'net; batteries there are about the same price as
Walgreen's around here. People talk about borrowing free tools to replace
cartridges in Moen faucets and then getting free replacements at HD; ours
will sell us a plastic tool for $18 and then we get to decide which size
cartridge is appropriate, at full retail price, of course. But the (local?)
Menard's chain usually has Ray-O-Vac AA's at 30 for $9.99, and I get great
life out of them, nearly as good as the Energizers for about half the price.

Roy Lewallen mentions Costco; they haven't had their particular brand
(40 for $10) for literally years here, all they sell is Duracells now
and they want 25% more than Menard's and the Ray-O-Vacs.

Doug McLaren mentioned his experience that alkalines have higher
capacities than rechargeables, but I'm finding that my new Eveready
2500 mAH NiMH batteries compete quite well with a fresh set of Energizers.
KenRockwell.com lists alkalines at 2700 to 3135 mAH, sounds reasonable.