Old November 7th 05, 08:58 PM
The Magnum

Default The FAQ - because no-one has an alternative one.

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for that. So the theory i get so far is anyone can build an

Amateur
radio but they cant "repair" a CB radio.... lol.. it is a crazy world

See comments above about license not needed any more for CB repair in the
US.

It used to be the Amateur tests were about on par with the comercial

class
licenses. The main differance was just the regulatory rules and not the
electrical part. That was about 1972 when I passed the 1 st class

license.
The way they are now anyone with a good memory can pass the tests. My

wife
passed the Technichan class about 1987 or 88 just by memorizing the Q&A
pool. She doesn't know or care about the technical part of radio.

I would guess a fair amount dont really care about the technical side or
would want to build their own radio and linear. You would have to be pretty
dedicated for that. I would also guess at most Amateurs are happy just
talking legally with a licence and a stock bought radio and antenna. Not
that theres anything wrong with that, it just depends on how serious you
take the hobby. Like the M3 foundation licence. It suits a lot of people who
are.. disillusioned with CB and want to go Amateur but not really wishing to
get so involved with the whole technical side of things. There are some good
M3 people out there whatever the old school say, but i agree they will never
be on a par with a full licence holder but is that such a terrible thing.