Old November 8th 05, 05:18 PM
The Magnum

Default The FAQ - because no-one has an alternative one.

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
ink.net...

I would guess a fair amount dont really care about the technical side or
would want to build their own radio and linear. You would have to be

pretty
dedicated for that. I would also guess at most Amateurs are happy just
talking legally with a licence and a stock bought radio and antenna. Not
that theres anything wrong with that, it just depends on how serious you
take the hobby. Like the M3 foundation licence. It suits a lot of people

who
are.. disillusioned with CB and want to go Amateur but not really

wishing
get so involved with the whole technical side of things. There are some

good
M3 people out there whatever the old school say, but i agree they will

never
be on a par with a full licence holder but is that such a terrible

thing.

I don't have any problem with the ones that just want to talk. There are
many good hams in public service providing communications for emergencies.
I know one ham that got his license many years ago so he could fly his

radio
controled airplane and use 6 meters where there were few others using that
frequency.

I do wish that the test could be hands on for a few simple things such as
installing a coax connector and and using a simple SWR meter. Also it
should be required to have a ARRL handbook or equivilent in the shack.
Would not even have to be a new one, but one 10 years old would be ok.

Not
that many would really read it but it could answer some simple questions.

I quite agree. I also personally think to obtain a CB licence (UK im talking
here) there should be a small test.. nothing complicated, just wiring on a
PL259 correctly and how to use a SWR meter (as you say for Amateur too).
Thats two basic things ive seen either ignored or very badly done.. ie.
someone twisting the inner and outer of the co-ax together and shoving it
through the hole in the PL.... then they wonder why the radio they just
bought off you wont get out.... or someone say..swred an antenna?? whats
that then?? sheesh..
Exceedingly unlikely now as to all intents and purposes the CB band isnt of
interest to the authorities that be.