Old November 9th 05, 08:39 AM
Spike

Default The FAQ - because no-one has an alternative one.

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Spike" wrote:

My Handbook (not ARRL) is much older, but I wasn't aware of any change
in the physics in the interim. Why choose ten years? The Admiralty
handbook is still relevant - and can answer questions - even if the
units have changed. You appear to be a newcomer.

The 10 year number for the book was just one out of the air.

The problem with that is it essentially means that every now and then,
in order to keep within the licence terms, one has to purchase a book.

Here in the UK we have problems with an organisation that has put
itself in the position of 'representing all UK amateurs', and which
sells books. It clearly does not do the former, and merely to add to
its coffers as part of the licencing conditions is a battle which it
has recently fought and looks like losing heavily.

Older would have been just fine.
My first ARRL hand book was bought in 1966.

Then why specify a time limit? Or even to have such a book in the
first place?

I did
not get a ham license untuil about 1972. Had a 1 st class radiotelephone
license around the same time. I have only used RTTY with an old mechanical
unit, been keeping up a repeater for close to 30 years, I did write a rtty
program for an old 8080 processor when I got tired of hearing the noise,
used a few of the newer digital modes with the computer, worked a few of the
OSCARs, active on 144 and 432 ssb. I do work some of the low bands also.
Guess that still makes me a newcomer to many.

There is nothing wrong with your Amateur CV. The issue - at least for
us in the UK - is the grasping self-interest of the 'national
society', which has been so clearly revealed by recent events, and to
which your proposal would add succour; that was really the point of my
post.

from
Aero Spike