Old November 9th 05, 01:08 PM
John S.

Default Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

The Berg wrote:
Hi.
I am looking to buy second hand one of the above.
Which ones the best receiver ?
Any recommendations welcomed.
Cheers
Jeff

It depends on what you want to spend for a radio. Typically the R71a
will be priced a few hundred dollars more than the Yaesu, but it is a
better radio.

Both are older radios now, so be sure to check operation of all
features including the display. If it was used by a smoker I would
pass on the radio unless it was very cheap. On the FRG7700 make sure
it has the optional memory unit. As previously mentioned make sure the
R71a has a passband tuning control. A patent lawsuit over ownership of
that control resulted in Icom selling that radio less the PBT control
for a few years.