Old December 21st 04, 10:55 PM
w9gb

"zeno" wrote in message ...
I came across a cute little homebrew CW transmitter utilizing only a
single 6L6. Mostly made from radio and audio junkbox parts, it does
seem to work. I put it on the air briefly with its 40 meter Xtal and
monitored the signal on another antenna. Sounds kind of chirpy,
actually worse than chirpy. Needs some kind of work or upgrade or
correction.

[snip]
Anyone seen a circuit for a singl 6L6 rig?...who
knows maybe it has the wrong tube in there. Hmmmm....how to do the
detective work on this????

[snip]

There is a one-tube rig on page 99 of "Ham Projects..." which uses a
6AV5 but that is not
the circuit I see in this unkown 6L6 rig. Let me know if you know of a
source for this single 6L6 transmitter. Nothing in either of the books
mentioned has one like this.

Other clues: it has three rf (air core) chokes, no other iron core
choke, uses two variable condensers, keys thru one of these chokes to
pin 8. Another choke goes from the antenna center pin to the chassis
ground. The 3 rf chokes used appear to be identical.

Bill / K6TAJ

Bill -

I seem to remember the ARRL Handbooks having a 6L6 based circuit.

Have you searched for the MEISSNER NOVICE TRANSMITTER ? I think it used a
6L6 oscillator

Have you seem the Ameco AC-1 web pages?
http://www.qsl.net/wb1gfh/ameco.html

If you solid state the rectifier, then its also one-tube !

Greg
w9gb