Old December 22nd 04, 01:12 AM
zeno

Thanks for the links. What is unusual about the transmitter in question is that
it has one tube total, no rectifier, no apparent power supply section besides
the power transformer and an electrolytic can. No chokes other than the 3 rf
air wound chokes. It came with a 6L6, I cannot be sure that is what it calls
for, but it did work, although with "wobbly" goofy signal. I have not come
across a design with only one 6L6 total although I have heard that such things
exist. I did the same google search you did when I first got this thing.

Bill/ K6TAJ

w9gb wrote:

"zeno" wrote in message ...
I came across a cute little homebrew CW transmitter utilizing only a
single 6L6. Mostly made from radio and audio junkbox parts, it does
seem to work. I put it on the air briefly with its 40 meter Xtal and
monitored the signal on another antenna. Sounds kind of chirpy,
actually worse than chirpy.

Bill / K6TAJ

Bill -

I just did a Google.com search for: "6L6 transmitter" and I same up with
several links and schematics. From notes, it appears several designs were
published pre-WW2 in QST.
RCA introduced the 6L6 tube in early 1936 as an audio power tube.

Are you looking at a Stancor 25-B transmitter, photo in article he
http://www.io.com/~nielw/6l6/6L6.htm

W0VLZ built the Stancor 10P, which is listed in the 1940, 5th edition of the
Stancor Hamanual
http://www.io.com/~nielw/2tube_xmtr/2tube_xmtr.htm

K4GC homebuilt 6L6
http://www.qsl.net/k4gc/6L6.html

K5DH 40 meter version built from design in "104 Ham Radio Projects for
Novice and Technician"; TAB Books, 1968
http://www.qsl.net/k5dh/6ag7_6l6.html

October 2004 issue of CQ magazine featured a 6L6 transmitter (with a
correction in the December 2004 issue under "World of Ideas")

LA6NCA Norwegian homebrew
http://www.laud.no/la6nca/homebrew/

6CL6
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phys/la.../6cl6xmtr.html