Old November 10th 05, 12:04 AM

Default Carl Stevenson Elected To IEEE Post

From: on Nov 8, 5:55 pm
On 8 Nov 2005 17:18:20 -0800, wrote:
Carl Stevenson was elected Member at Large of the IEEE Standards
Association in IEEE news e-mailed to members today.

Many of us have sent him our congratulations.

Carl is also Executive
Director of No Code International.

Nobody's perfect! ;-)

I thought it terribly IRONIC that long-time radio amateur
Carl Stevenson, WK3C, who WAS REFUSED A NOMINATION FOR OFFICE
AT THE ARRL (an AMATEUR organization), managed to not only
GET ON a ballot of the IEEE (a PROFESSIONAL association), and
WIN! :-)

Not ironic at all.

The standards of amateurism are different. Ask Jim Thorpe.

Carl had more than enough signatures on his nomination papers.
But the Executive Committee that decides such matters though there
was a conflict of interest between his professional duties and being
an ARRL Director, and declared him ineligible to run. That decision
was not reversed by the BoD.

Some members of ARRL, particularly in the Atlantic Division, did not
agree with that decision, and made their disagreement known to the
BoD, the other officers of ARRL, and anybody else involved. Those
efforts to get him on the ballot were, unfortunately, not successful.

btw, it is interesting to note the name of Carl's firm.