Old December 22nd 04, 03:53 AM
Roger and Ute Brown

Michael,
Well - he said (in a subsequent post) that it had a transformer and
electrolytic. I surmise from that he has DC running around somewhere since
it apparently generates a signal. All one would need to do is trace the
voltage from the secondary to the elusive rectifier. Or one should find DC
across the electrolytic and be able to trace back towards the transformer
from there.
I'm sure he'll figure it out. If he has DC - he has a rectifier hidden
someplace. If he doesn't - it can't work (as he says).
Roger, KL7Q

Michael Black wrote in message

"Roger and Ute Brown" ) writes:

Check the tube base wiring against the 6L6 and
see if everything
goes to the correct pins for such a tube. It's possible you should have

tube which sports a rectifier (diode section) and another tube in the

same
envelope). At any rate - a part by part inspection resulting in a

schematic
will tell all!

I thought of that myself. While this transmitter is so simple it has
to be pretty generic, so there doesn't have to be an article about it, I
have seen "single tube" transmitters described in old magazines that
used something intended for AC/DC use, ie a power stage with a built in
rectifier that used a high filament voltage. I'm thinking 50L6, but I'm
not sure if that is right. I don't remember if there was something in an
octal package that ran off 117volts directly.

I don't think the original poster mentioned if there was a transformer,

and
somehow I suspect the lack of one would be a greater indicator of this

route.

Of course, selenium recitifiers may have had a brief enough life that
someone might not recognize one by sight.

Michael VE2BVW