Old November 10th 05, 03:01 PM
Michael Black

Default MARS Thunderbird Mobile Tansmitter Info

"Steve NU0P" ) writes:
Ed

Thanks for the information but unfortunately my library of QST goes back to
1990 only, will have to ask around to see if anyone has that but as I recall
QST did not publish any schematics usually.

Steve

It depends. If the rig was simple enough, they might. And it was
pretty normal for them to show snippets of the schematic, because there
was something different about that bit of the circuit, and they wanted to
talk about it. It's only in recent years that they dropped the any schematics
from the reviews.

Given the description, I can't imagine the rig being particularly unusual.
Look in old handbooks to find rigs with that tube arrangement, and you've
got something close, which can be used to visualize the rig and use
as a start for tracing the schematic or troubleshooting.

Michael VE2BVW

"Edward Knobloch" wrote in message
Hi,
The Mars Thunderbird was reviewed in March 1960 QST.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Steve NU0P wrote:
I just acquired a Mars Thunderbird Mobile Tansmitter that uses a pari of
6AQ5 tubes and a 12AU7. The 12AU7 is the oscillator/Amp and one of the
6AQ5's is the PA. The other 6AQ5 is the AM modulator. This is a very
nice Japanese made radio from the early 60's designed for mobile use.