Old November 10th 05, 05:10 PM
David

Default fm pirate ?

On 10 Nov 2005 07:29:21 -0800, "Art Harris" wrote:

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

He was just playing music from his house with a 1/2 watt transmitter which he said was legal.He mentioned the cross streets and I'm about 1.5 miles away but he also said he's had reports from about 4.5 miles.

Sounds like a pirate. You're allowed to run 1/10th of a watt (100 mW)
without a license and with certain antenna restrictions under Part 15
of the FCC rules.

I'm not sure of the status of the Micro FM stations these days. The
idea was to license very low power stations to serve local communities.
But the "real" broadcasters never liked the idea.

There was a pirate in my area in the '80s who ran 35 watts and a 50-ft
high single bay antenna. His range was about 5-6 miles.

See:
http://www.nationalassociationofmicr...tisfmradio.htm

Art H.

35 Watts at 50 feet is good for at least 20 miles.