Old November 11th 05, 01:17 AM
Brad

Default Am Station On USB Also ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Let's say I pick up a regular HF shortwave station on AM.

Should I also be able to hear this same station on USB ?

If so, what would the freq. "offset" that I should increase the tuned
freq. to ?

Should I expect the USB freq to be clearer, or... ?

Thanks,
B.

You can receive the AM signal on both USB and LSB. This is a good technique
to remember as listening to one sideband is not so prone to selective fading
or phase distortion of the carrier. It is also useful when trying to listen
to AM stations 5KHz apart. Often you can tune to one or other of the
sidebands and listen to a clear signal, while the other sideband is being
interefered with by the adjacent station.

The sideband filter usually has a narrower bandwidth. This is not a hi fi
method, but it is excellent for identifying weaker signals.

Some stations do transmit on SSB only. AFRS is on 10320khz from Hawaii in my
afternoons, with a very strong USB signal.

Brad.